SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

[Guest Post] Baked Potato Soup Recipe

Christina's blog is one of my favorites for yummy recipes and I love hearing about her and her cute little daughter!  Here she is with a super easy recipe to get you through the cold temperatures!

Hi! I'm Christina, a former teacher, turned SAHM to a sweet, beautiful, hilarious eighteen month old little girl. I blog over at This Woman Cooks!, which started out as a food blog many moons ago and has slowly transformed into more of a mommy blog. I still share recipes, but mostly I like to write about my life as a SAHM and our crazy little adventures.

I'm happy to be here guest posting for Amanda today! I thought I'd share something we had for dinner recently that we absolutely loved, the mini included!

 photo potatosou.jpg

I like to make soup when it's cold out and it has been pretty chilly here lately. Baked potato soup is one of my favorite soups, probably because of all the toppings! I like to add crispy bacon bits, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chives, if I have some on hand.

What I really like about this recipe is that half of the soup is actually cauliflower- not potatoes! It's a great way to get more vegetables into your kids, they will never know the difference. You can decide if you want to bake your potatoes in the oven or in the microwave (I chose the microwave) and it all comes together fairly quickly, 30 minutes tops!

I also love making waffle sandwiches to go along with soup. I toasted up two waffles, spread some mayo, added smoked virginia ham, and colby jack cheese. A few minutes under the broiler and it's nice and warm, with the cheese melted. That's my kind of sandwich!

Source: adapted from Skinnytaste
Servings: 2

2 russet potatoes, scrubbed 
1 small bag of frozen cauliflower 
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
10 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled 
Pierce potatoes with a fork and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn over and microwave another 3 - 5 minutes, until tender. If you prefer to use your oven, bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool potatoes slightly and peel. I found it easiest to scoop out the flesh and add it to my pot. 

Meanwhile, steam cauliflower with water until tender. Drain. On medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, potatoes, and cauliflower to a large pot and bring to a boil. If you have an immersion blender, puree until smooth. (Or, pour soup into a regular blender and puree. Return soup back to the pot.) Add sour cream, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat. Ladle soup into bowls. Top each with cheese and bacon and any other toppings you like!




I hope you enjoy! Thank you for having Amanda!
post signature
KatiePerk said...

This sounds great and I like that it doesn't make a ton!! I shall be trying soon!! I am hopping over to your blog to check it out!

Justine Ciemny said...

I can't wait to try the recipe this weekend!!

www.lifeasabaltimoregirl.blogspot.com

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

Thanks so much for having my Amanda! Hope you're enjoying your vacation :)

Pink and Fabulous said...

Yum! This is so much lighter than most recipes and I definitely need to try this!

Katie Elizabeth said...

Yum!! We just had potato soup for dinner last night :) Tis the season for soup!